20 Random Acts of Kindness
Today, it has finally been a gloriously warm and sunny day in Edinburgh. I had a beautiful walk around the Old Town and Princes Street Gardens which inspired me to do something unusual. I have asked myself: what can I do today to show kindness? We might all be worrying about the impact of coronavirus on our lives, but I think it is even more important to take some time to consider those less fortunate, too.
I have bought a ‘Magic Bag’ from a nearby Caffé Nero which cost me only £3.09 when ordering through my favourite anti food-waste app - Too Good To Go. Every day, delicious, fresh food goes to waste at cafes, restaurants, hotels, shops and supermarkets - just because it hasn’t sold in time. Too Good To Go lets you rescue a Magic Bag of this food so it gets eaten instead of wasted. You won’t know exactly what’s in your order until you pick it up - it’s all part of the surprise. I am so happy that even during lockdown this initiative continues and quite a few cafes and supermarkets in Edinburgh are able to participate. I have picked up my bag and was delighted to find a selection of fresh sandwiches, paninis, and pastries. I then approached three homeless guys in the area and gave them something from the bag. It was very easy to share the food as every sandwich, panini or pastry was all nicely packed up in separate packages. All of the guys were pleasantly surprised and all of them smiled when I gave them food. It made me smile too. Doing good doesn't need to cost a lot of time or money. Random acts of kindness can lift up anyone’s spirits, and we all hold the power to make someone’s day with some small and selfless acts. I will share 20 ideas of random acts of kindness that will surely brighten up the world around you.
20 Random Acts of Kindness Ideas
Check out this list below for inspiration:
1. Call a friend that you haven’t spoken to for a while
2. Send a letter to a grandparent
3. Send flowers to a friend
4. Offer to pick up some groceries for your elderly neighbour
5. Send someone a handwritten note
6. Tell your family members how much you love and appreciate them
7. Make someone laugh
8. Tell someone you know that you are proud of them
9. Tell someone you know why you are thankful for them
10. Send a motivational text to a friend who is struggling
11. Sign up to do voluntary work in your local community
12. Reach out to spend time with a friend, family member or neighbour who is experiencing loneliness
13. Have a clear out and take items to a charity shop
14. Make and send a care package to someone who needs it
15. Pick up some rubbish lying around in the street
16. Smile and say hello to people you may pass every day, but have never spoken to before
17. Pop into a coffee shop and ask to pay for a coffee for them to give to someone later that day for free
18. Plant a tree
19. Do a favour without asking for anything in return
20. Take the day not to complain
Today reminded me of a book I read few years ago - The Little Book of Kindness: Everyday actions to change your life and the world around you by Bernadette Russell. The Little Book of Kindness teaches you how to be kind to yourself, to strangers, to those you love, to the world – every day, at every opportunity. The book is packed with fun ideas, practical tips and interactive exercises that encourage you to ‘be kind’ in all areas of life.
Included in kindness is not only compassion but acknowledgment. At the root of every issue and every emotion is the need for acknowledgment, and it is what makes being human and living so beautiful. Whether you do a weekly shop for a vulnerable neighbour or surprise a friend with a bunch of flowers sent to their house, just because, even the smallest gestures can have the power to make a big difference. Even in some of the most difficult times, we can all choose to be kind.
Disclosure: Feel Good Travel is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.